Once again voters are soon going to the Polls and voting on the Dry/Wet Special Election. And once again, many of the dry supporters are spreading lies and scare tactics about the legal sale of alcohol.
I'm voting Yes. I want to see economic growth from a wet McCreary County. Here’s my reasons for voting wet.
* Pine Knot, Stearns and Whitley are becoming ghost towns and many of the Drys like that fact. If you don’t believe me, just drive thru those towns and county the empty businesses and lots. I want to see new businesses locate here, and would also see beautification projects within these communities.
* I want to see the Vacant Pine Knot Business Park occupied and become a regional Distribution Center for any Alcohol Brewery Corp. This will create jobs, create Occupational Tax Revenue and create property tax revenue for the county.
* I want to see new winery plantations built and operated within the county. These Agricultural Businesses will create jobs, new occupational tax revenue, new property tax revenue and sales tax revenue.
* ANY new JOBS will also create revenue for the Occupational Tax.
* New businesses will add to the property tax rolls.
* New regulations on the legal sale of alcohol will be drafted and enforced. This will keep alcohol out of the hands of minors. Currently, minors can purchase alcohol freely from ILLEGAL Bootleggers within the county.
* Alcohol is currently being sold within the county ILLEGALLY, UNREGULATED AND UNTAXED.
* Taxpayers are currently paying for the 10 Commandment Lawsuit.
* Sheriff Dept. will gain more manpower, grants and equipment and tax revenue.
* Five Ambulances are needing replaced at a cost of $100,000.00 each. How are we gonna pay for them? Higher property taxes?
* New Resturant Franchises will create JOBS, TAX REVENUE Thru Sales tax, Occupational Tax and Property tax for the County.
* New Hotel & Motel businesses will be able to cater to Tourist and locals.
If you want to Vote Dry, then take a look at the county’s current economic conditions. Do you want another three years of this?
Has anyone seen a Bootlegger or Drug dealer being boycotted? Ask yourself why is the illegal sales not being challenged?
If you don’t drink alcohol, don’t buy it. Vote Wet, Live dry and reap the benefits the tax revenues bring to our communities.
I'm voting wet for the new Jobs and different tax revenues that alcohol will generate.
Derek L. Jones
Whitley City, KY 42653
- Letters to the Editor
Good and Bad Forces
In our world we have two opposing forces, one good, one bad. According to God’s Bible, God is not watching over our earth now. The god of this world is having his way. Anyone that has eyes to
Summer Time Shouldn’t be Hungry Time
In the midst of winter/spring, it can be easy to forget those long, hot days of June, July, and August. Even so, now is the time to start
Alcohol Awareness Month
April is “Alcohol Awareness Month.” The Adanta Group Community Mental Health Center is invested in providing community education, public awareness and understanding of alcohol abuse in an effort to
I am writing this to commend the personnel from your County who came to our assistance on the overturned chemical tanker.
I would like to say "Thank You" to Derrick Jones and the Adopt-a-Highway Crew on Hwy.1651 (Old 27). They do a wonderful job of keeping the highways clean,
Hate is of the devil
In this world people hate each other. I hate you. Hate is of the devil. Where ever you look you can see hate. In the work place, I hate to work. I hate mom and
March is Sexual Assault Awareness Month
If you follow the headlines, you know that sexual abuse happens. It happens often and close to home. This reality can be overwhelming, but it’s important to remember that sexual abuse can be prevented
More PRIDE for WCE
On Friday, March 1, 2013, I was honored to attend the Eastern Kentucky PRIDE assembly at Whitley City Elementary School. It was
A Source of PRIDE
As the school board member, representing Whitley City, I was pleased to attend the PRIDE event at the elementary school on Friday, March 1st. I
To Your Good Health
Man has thrown their nose at All Mighty God for years. We will not keep your laws. Nor your statutes. We will go the way of our leaders
- More Letters to the Editor Headlines
- Good and Bad Forces